skip to content »

Oklahoma divorce laws dating

oklahoma divorce laws dating-8

Immediately upon filing the Petition for Dissolution with the court, the law requires parties to do or not do certain things.

oklahoma divorce laws dating-42oklahoma divorce laws dating-37

In some cases, the court must determine whether one spouse will be required to pay support alimony to the other. The dissolution of a marriage requires our clients to make tough decisions when they are at their most vulnerable.Under Oklahoma Law, the process of divorce begins with the filing of a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, also known as a Petition for Divorce.After the divorce is filed, the process has begun and other Oklahoma laws take effect.Divorcing couples not only have to deal with the trauma of losing their spouse, their assets, and possibly their children, they also have to deal with a complicated court system that includes motions, deadlines, and court dates.The attorneys of Law Firm of Oklahoma have a wealth of experience in Oklahoma divorce law.(Oklahoma Statutes - Title 43 - Sections: 102 and 103) The Petition for Divorce must declare the appropriate Oklahoma grounds upon which the divorce is being sought. The obligation of one spouse to support the other financially for a temporary or permanent basis is decided on a case-by-case basis as agreed to by the parties or at the court's discretion.

The appropriate lawful ground will be that which the parties agree upon and can substantiate, or that which the filing spouse desires to prove to the court. Either spouse may be allowed such alimony out of real and personal property of the other as the court shall think reasonable, having due regard to the value of such property at the time of the divorce.

When determining the grounds for your divorce, you have a few options.

First, if you do not want to declare that your spouse is at fault, you can choose a no-fault divorce that is based on irreconcilable differences.

The requirements are as follows: Either the plaintiff or the defendant in an action for divorce must have been an actual resident, in good faith, of the state, for six (6) months next preceding the filing of the petition. The court may set apart a portion of the separate estate of a spouse to the other spouse for the support of the children of the marriage where custody resides with that spouse.

Provided, any person who has been a resident of any United States Army post or military reservation within the State of Oklahoma, for six (6) months next preceding the filing of the petition, may bring action for divorce or may be sued for divorce. (Oklahoma Statutes - Title 43 - Sections: 121) Not all cases involve support from one spouse to the other.

If you do want to say that your spouse is at fault, you can use the actions that he or she took as grounds for the divorce —- this includes things like abuse or infidelity, which could also help you win a custody battle.